This weekend I FINISHED, actually finished a project that I started over 10 years ago. I have titled this wall hanging, Bunny Quilter.
In the late 90's, I took a class with my mother and sister to learn how to do REDWORK embroidery. The concept is to embroider in a single colored thread, typically red thread.
Well, my favorite color is pink, so I stitched the rabbit silhouettes in a dark pink. Then I pieced together the stars and designed a unique border with mitered corners. The unfinished quilt top is featured in some photos you've already seen from the 2009 photo shoot.
Last fall, I took the quilt top to a local quilt store to have it machine quilted on a long arm. I personally prefer to do the handwork and will rarely quilt my own projects. I attached the binding this weekend and finished it off with my classic border embroidery Herringbone stitch.
Finishing this project on Mother's Day means a great deal to me. See, my Mother went home to Glory in 2003, I remember embroidering some of the rabbits while she was still here with me. I think she would have been so pleased to see the finished quilt.

I love it Wendy -- I remember some of your bunny pieces from about 10 years ago :) The finished piece is awesome and a honored contribute to you Mom.
ReplyDeleteYour blog is beautiful! Thank your for your kind comment on my blog. I love meeting fellow Jesus followers!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth
http://www.justfollowingjesus.com
It is absolutely gorgeous!!!! What a wonderful job and meaningful quilt. I love it!
ReplyDeleteThat is a beautiful quilt. I love that it has special meaning for you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful quilt!!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely stunning!
ReplyDeleteYour quilt is wonderful Wendi...definitely worth the wait...your mum would be so proud of you...and I just love Poca Luna...you are so lucky!....
ReplyDeleteSusan x
Wow....it turned out beautiful... I love the colors and the bunnies are just too cute!
ReplyDeleteI love it! What a treasure and such a wonderful memory. Enjoy every minute looking at it...I know your Mom would be so proud of you.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the accomplishment!
Your quilt is beautiful. I love the embroidered blocks mixed in!
ReplyDeleteHugs ~~ Suz
inspiringcreativeness.blogspot